Monday, January 19, 2009


U2, MLK and Barack Obama

So, I am enjoying my day off for the recognition of MLK Jr.'s birthday. Barack Obama is soon to be inaugurated as our 44th President (Whoo hoo!), and my favorite band of all-time is right in the middle of it all. Yesterday, U2 took part in "We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial" which aired live on HBO and is now available as a webcast on HBO's website. The show featured artists and presenters ranging from Bruce Springsteen and Beyonce to Jamie Foxx and Tom Hanks, all performing and speaking on the steps of the memorial. The event combined two things that I love: History and music. U2 appeared toward the end of the show and played "Pride" and "City of Blinding Lights," the latter of which was featured on the soundtrack of Obama's campaign stops. Apparently, they got a wink from Michelle Obama during the show, so it's all good. Check it out.

In other news the band has released the cover art and track listings for its new album, No Line on the Horizon, produced by Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite and dropping on March 3rd in the U.S. I just got an email today from U2.com with audio for the first single, "Get On Your Boots". Needless to say, I am eagerly anticipating its release as well as the announcement of tour dates for 2009. Only because I have nothing better to do, I have noticed a pattern: U2 has toured every 4 years since 1997 (Pop Mart Tour), followed by 2001 (Elevation Tour), 2005 (Vertigo Tour) and the anticipated tour in 2009. I have seen them on every one and will see them again this time around. Maybe a road trip to Chicago for shows there, if my buddy Reg can get tickets :)

1 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger M.W. Flid said...

How do you like the new U2 single, G? I'm not sure myself how much I like it but I'm interested to know what the rest of the album will hold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home