Thursday, October 05, 2006


Note: This is the first post of a series that will describe the trials and tribulations of my life as a substitute teacher in the city of Chicago. I am posting the first two reflections from September today and will try to post these regularly from now on. Enjoy!

The Sub Life - 9/11/06

Today was my first substitute teaching assignment in the city of Chicago. The good news? The school is only about 4 miles from my apartment and more or less a straight shot down Western Avenue, a major north-south thoroughfare in the city. The bad news? It took me 15 minutes to cover the first mile of that four as the traffic was at a virtual standstill until I got past the expressway. No problem polishing off that bagel I brought with me in the car.


Perhaps this slow start was an omen of the news I would receive when I got to the school itself. First off, the teacher did not leave me any lesson plans. Second, the teacher’s aide is brand new this year and, while well intentioned, is not able to help much. Last but not least, I also learn that I will be working with a group of 4 six year-olds who have autism. Never done that before!

I meet the crew as they arrive on the bus and grab some breakfast in the cafeteria, which is in the basement of the school. Here is the roll call:


1. Luis - I am told does not like to sit and he shows it by bouncing around the room after inhaling his Fruit Loops.
2. Oliver - A whisp of a kid who will spend the day giggling, grabbing my legs like they are a piece of playground equipment and giving me the most aggressive hugs I have ever had, adults included. He virtually head-butts me each time to the point that I have to ask him to stop before I get hurt.
3. Corey - A rather quiet kid who it turns out really likes to get comfy on the classroom floor.
4. Jaquan - The Energizer bunny of the group. Upon returning from music class proceeds to lead me on a high-speed foot chase through the schools’ rather spacious second floor. Oh yes, and he periodically goes into screaming fits.

The day gets off to a solid start with my reading “Old MacDonald” complete with little finger puppets for the various animals. I give each child an animal after I read that animal’s part of the story. The kids seem to enjoy it, but their attention spans being what they are start to lose interest after about 10 minutes.

From here we transition, and I use that term loosely with this group, into some educational games on the computer. A “Blues Clues” CD-Rom seems to do the trick for two of the kids and a science game takes care of another. That leaves Oliver, who basically giggles, grabs my legs and hugs/head-butts me in between brief periods of doing his counting.

I somehow manage to make it through the day, though there are times when I swear the clock is going backwards on me. On the way out I get some kinds words from one of the teachers. “That’s basically the way they are every day, you did fine,” she told me. I smile and thank her as I take my weary self to my car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home